Sunday 9 August 2015

Haven't seen you in a while!

Painted Lady
I haven't posted in a while due to laziness, poor I know, but having broken one of the fundamental parts of Dad's birthday present I had to redeem myself!  I am going to go a bit off track and showing you some of my butterfly pictures that I have recently taken. This first one is a Painted Lady that was at Durlston.

Skipper
On that same walk we saw this Skipper, feeding on a thistle. Now unfortunately after hours (minutes actually) of trying to identify this butterfly we still couldn't figure out what it was.  Please comment if you think you know because we are stuck!

Marbled Whites mating
Further up the path we saw two Marbled Whites mating. The Marbled White is the common and widespread butterfly in its group, the Browns.

Common Blue
And very recently we saw this Common Blue.  It feeds on clover, birdsfoot-trefoil and rest harrow. They are normally found April to September.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a Lulworth Skipper to me - a male. Not as well marked as the female but you can see the sex brand on the wing - a narrow dark line - which identifies it as a male. Other skippers are more orangey, this one quite bronzed.

    ReplyDelete